Requirements for the Sacrament of Baptism For Infant/Child Baptism:
The commitment of baptism is a commitment to raise your child in a church family.
- Ordinarily, one parent will be a member of Canonsburg U.P. Church. All requests for baptism must be approved by the Session.
- The parents must attend a baptismal counseling meeting with the Pastor.
- In the Presbyterian Church, the Session is charged with approving baptisms & the congregation as a whole assumes responsibility for nurturing the baptized person in the Christian life. Additionally, sponsors (other traditions: Godparents) may be chosen by parents.
- In presenting your child for baptism, you announce your own faith in Jesus Christ, and your desire to raise your child to follow Christ.
Please read the following baptismal vows carefully:
- Do you renounce all evil and reaffirm your own faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
- Do you promise, in reliance upon God’s grace, to set before your child an example of the new life in Christ, through your active participation in the worship and mission of the church?
- Do you promise to pray with and for you child, and to bring him/her up in the knowledge of the love of God?
Baptism for Adults
Individual counseling in the sacrament is offered to any teenagers or adults seeking baptism. For both children and adults, the sacrament is celebrated as part of Sunday worship.